Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mei Mei a Chinese Kokeshi Doll


I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to say Mei Mei is a Chinese Kokeshi doll. There must be a different word in Chinese that's equivalent to the kokeshi doll, but I don't know it, so go with me here.


I just think her hair style with the long strands in the front and the bun in back looks Chinese. At least that's the way I remember them from Bruce Lee movies. No negative connotations here because I am a big martial arts action fan. I love Jet Li.


Getting back to Mei Mei... She was created because I had a request for a Ni Hao Kailan doll. Do you know her? She has her own cartoon. In fact, here is a picture of the finished doll.




Yes, she is wearing headphones. No she doesn't wear them in the cartoon. That's just the way my friend wanted it.



Getting back to Mei Mei. After making Ni Hao Kailan's hair, I decided to try it out on my little kokeshis and it worked out great. So I wrote up a new pattern for it and it's available in my Etsy shop.



Check it out!






1 comment:

  1. Hi I was wondering if you happen to make the written pattern of Kai Lan by now??? :P I would really love to make her for a niece.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete