Thursday, September 8, 2011

Neck Cooling Ties!


Okay, I'm pretty positive that today is the hottest day of the summer here in Los Angeles. I know it's nothing compared to the heat in other areas, like the desert, but seriously, we are feeling it today. I was in the garden for 10 minutes in my flip flops and sunburned my feeties. So, this seems like the perfect time to introduce my newest project....NECK COOLING TIES!

What are neck cooling ties? Well, they are like bandanas that have a special water absorbing polymer sewn inside. When you soak them in water for a few minutes, they puff up and will hold the water for days. You wear these around your neck and it helps to keep you cool by water evaporation. The outside of the fabric will become dry to the touch, but the moisture stays inside the bandana. These are great for hiking, sports, gardening, and even those in the military. You can put them in the refrigerator before you wear them if you want them really cold. Keep a few extra in the cooler when you go out to the beach and switch them out to stay extra cool.

I've been wearing these at home while I'm crafting to keep cool, and if I need an extra boost, I'll dip them in cool water and put them back on. You can keep them clean by washing them with some shampoo.

The reason I decided to make these is because I found some super cute fabrics and needed something to make with them. I know other people are making neck coolers, but I just love the fabrics that mine are made with.

If you see me at a craft fair in the next coming months, don't forget to check out my neck cooling ties.

1 comment: